I went down to visit Tucson from Denver a few weeks ago. I go often, because that's where my parents live. I love Tucson for it's sunshine and cycling and hiking and obviously it's amazing food. And it's a good thing, because during the most recent trip I got a job offer down there! I had looked for jobs off and on for a couple years, so it's amazing that this finally worked out!
I was down there over the 4th of July, so my parents hosted a little family gathering. Everyone pitched in and brought food, so I wanted to contribute, too. After perusing the farmer's market, this is what I came up with. It's a pretty classic summer combination- zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and onion. What makes this salad extra delicious is the chipotle lime dressing.
The smoke and spice and tang of this dressing is really perfect with the fresh veggies. It's a delicious salad for your next summer BBQ. Buuuuut, then you have to save the leftovers. It's perfect sprinkled over Siete tortilla chips for some grain-free nachos or even scooped into tacos.
I made a few salads that day, and this one was our favorite. I know my posting recipes here has become irregular with travel, and now packing and moving. But I will be back to my normal schedule in no time! Thanks for sticking with me, I appreciate my readers more than you know. I hope you have some people over for a pool party or taco bar or summer bbq and feed them all these yummy veggies.
Zucchini Corn Salad
3 ears of fresh corn
2 small (or 1 XL) zucchini, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1c grape tomatoes, quartered
fresh cilantro, minced
chipotle lime vinaigrette:
3T fresh lime juice
6T avocado oil
1/2t garlic powder
1/4t chipotle powder
1/4t smoked paprika
1/8t onion powder
- Shuck the corn and add the cobs to a large pot. Cover with water, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove the corn from heat and cover the pot until you're done with everything else and ready to use the corn.
- Dice all the remaining vegetables. I tried to cut everything pretty small so you could get a bit of everything in each bite. Add all the veggies to a large bowl.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and add to the other veggies.
- To a small blender, add all the ingredients for the dressing. Blend until everything is combined and it appears creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Are you going to trick your friends into eating veggies at your next summer gathering? If so, snap a picture for me! Post your picture on Instagram, and tag me at #ideatthatfoodtoo. You can also Pin this picture so you don't forget to make these next time you need a fun salad!