I just love Christmas. Everyone's mood just seems to lift in December as we approach the holidays. One thing I really miss about living in New York City is the Christmas Market in Union Square. I worked on the 11th floor overlooking the park, and I absolutely loved taking pictures out the window as the leaves and park changed throughout the year. Wandering through the market always resulted in lovely, unique gifts and warm drinks. It was just perfect.
These days I'm lucky if I can get an Amazon prime box in time for our holiday travel. But I know that once we arrive at my parent's house everything will slow down, we'll relax, eat delicious food, and be cozy.
I wanted to create a delicious holiday main course that didn't require being in the kitchen all day. Of course we eat delicious food over the holidays, but it's really about being with family. So this dish takes minimal hands-on time to give you maximum family time. Not only will you get the main course, but you also get a vegetable side, and gravy! It's a 3-for-1!
I decided to use a sirloin cut for this dish because it remained sturdy enough to slice when it's done cooking, so it is tender without falling apart. To season the meat I used all the warm spices of the season, like ginger, cinnamon, and orange. It gives the gravy a unique sweet, spiced flavor rather than your usual savory, meaty flavor. It may not be what you're quite what you're used to, but it is warm and delicious.
Slowcooker Christmas Roast & Spiced Gravy
6 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
6 parsnips, cut into large chunks
2 stalks celery, washed and cut into chunks
2 small apples, cored and cut into a large dice
1/2t pepper (omit for AIP)
1/2t garlic powder
1/4t allspice (omit for AIP)
1/4t dried ginger
1/4t dried orange peel, or orange zest
2 lb. top sirloin cap roast, sirloin tip roast, or other sirloin roast
2T balsamic vinegar
1c beef stock
1/4c coconut aminos
1T tomato paste (sub 1T pumpkin puree plus 1t vinegar for AIP)
- Rinse and cut all your vegetables and the apples into large chunks and put them in the bottom of the slowcooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and orange peel.
- Pat your beef dry with a paper towel, then cover the outside in the spice mix. Rub in into all sides of the meat.
- Set the beef on top of the veggies in the slowcooker.
- Whisk together the vinegar, beef stock, coconut amigos, and tomato paste, then pour it over the veggies in the slowcooker.
- Set your slowcooker to cook for 6 hours on low heat.
- When the cooking time finishes, remove the beef to a cutting board and slice it.
- From the vegetable mixture, fish out the carrots and parsnips and put them on a serving dish, then set the sliced beef on top.
- To make the gravy, add the remaining veggies, apples, and broth to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the gravy over the meat to serve.
If you decide to make this dish for your holiday table, post a picture to Instagram and tag me with #ideatthatfoodtoo. I love seeing what you cook! Or, Pin the picture below to keep this recipe for later.