I used to eat eggs for breakfast basically everyday. They're essentially the perfect food. They're full of protein and good fats, they take about 30 seconds to cook, they taste good with pretty much any meat and veggies, they are inexpensive, etc. etc. etc. Well, that love affair is over, because as it turns out, I'm pretty sensitive to eggs. It's heartbreaking, really. I find myself struggling with breakfast a lot, not because there's nothing to eat, but because it's not as fast and easy as eggs. I am not a morning person, so fast and easy is essential for me in the mornings!
I created this so I'd have an easy and yummy egg-free breakfast option during the 21 Day Sugar Detox that started last week. It is packed full of compliant vegetables, and some super tasty breakfast sausage. Best of all, it warms up in a microwave really well. During the week I often pack my breakfast and eat once I get settled in at work. That means it's got to be microwave-able, because that's my only cooking option at work. This skillet checks all those boxes!
Because eggs are delicious, you could fry one and put it on top of this skillet. If you're like me, than an avocado does the trick! That healthy fat balances out the wonderful carbs and protein that are already in the skillet.
Even if you're not doing the 21 day sugar detox with us, I hope you give this a try! It's a great way to start the day with tons of veggies! This recipe makes a lot, so you'll have plenty to eat throughout the whole week.
Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet
1 lb. pork sausage (check ingredients to ensure it's sugar-free and AIP if necessary)
1 lb. parsnips
1 lb. brussels sprouts, shredded
1 green apple
2T ghee or pastured lard
1/2t garlic powder
- On the stove, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and cook until it's browned and cooked through.
- While the sausage cooks, trim the ends off the parsnips, scrub them, then run them through the food processor with a grater plate to shred them. If you don't have a food processor, using a hand grater will work.
- Core the apple, then shred it as well.
- Trying to keep as much of the oil in the pan as possible, scoop out the sausage into a bowl.
- Add the ghee to the pan. Once it melts, add in the shredded parsnips, apple, and Brussels sprouts. You may have to do this in batches if your pan is too full. As the veggies wilt down, add a few more.
- Sprinkle the salt and garlic powder over the veggies, and stir to incorporate.
- Once the vegetables are all soft, and the Brussels sprouts have turned bright green, add the sausage back to the pan.
- Cook until veggies are cooked through, and the sausage has reheated. Taste for seasoning, and add whatever it needs.
If you decide to try this breakfast skillet, snap a pic for me! I wanna see it, so tag me on instagram at #ideatthatfoodtoo. Or, click the upper left corner of the image below to Pin this recipe and save it for later!