My mom makes the best potato salad, just like she makes the best ribs. Basically I'm just stealing all her recipes and posting them on my blog. Thanks, Mom! Anyway, I wanted to make an herby, mayo-free version of her delicious potato salad, and here we are. This is perfect for summer, and so perfect for those of you that can't have eggs (just leave out the hard boiled ones).
The pesto becomes so creamy, it is the perfect substitute for more traditional mayonnaise. The lemon and arugula lend a brightness that just makes the potatoes pop.
This makes a lot, so it's perfect for a BBQ or other celebration. The leftovers will keep well for a week or so. You may want to add more pesto to the leftovers because the potatoes really soak up the dressing, and it can become dry over time.
Give it a try! And um...send me your mom's best recipes so I can use those too. Thanks.
Lemon Arugula Potato Salad
2.5lbs yukon gold potatoes
1t + 3/4t salt
3/4c shallot, peeled and diced
3 stalks of celery, finely diced
3 eggs, hard boiled (optional)
1/2c Lemon Arugula Pesto
- Cut up potatoes to a large dice, and place them into a large pot and cover with water. Add 1t salt to the water, and place the pot over high heat.
- Allow the potatoes to boil for about 12-15 minutes, until you can pierce them with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make a batch of the lemon arugula pesto.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, and gently toss the potatoes with the shallot, celery, and eggs.
- Top the salad with the pesto, remaining 3/4t salt, and pepper, and fold it in, until everything is evenly covered in dressing.
- Test for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Potatoes need LOTS of salt, so feel free to add more to your liking.
Will you be making this for your next BBQ? Don't forget to post a picture of it to Instagram, and tag me with #ideatthatfoodtoo. Or click the image below to Pin this recipe to your boards.